Belmont, NH Cemeteries & History Records


Until 1859, what is now the Town of Belmont, was part of the Town of Gilmanton. Some records of Gilmanton that pre-date 1859 are still held at the Belmont Municipal Offices

Visit BelmontNH.net for Belmont Records

Gilford, NH Cemeteries


Directory of Gilford Cemeteries - Burials Thru 1949 and Lot Locations and Burials Added 1950 to October 1, 1978
  List of Gilford Cemeteries
  Alphabetical Listing of Burials up to and including year 1949
  Alphabetical Listing of Burials from 1950 to Oct. 1, 1978


Cemeteries:
Ames
Bean
Buzzell
Carr
Collins
Cotton Hill
Governors Island
Grant
Hoyt
James
Lamprey
Liberty Hill
Martin
McCoy
Pine Grove
Robinson
Weeks
Wilkinson
Other Sites:
Additional gravestones found in cellar of house on Watson Road, 1989

Laconia State School


The Laconia State School was founded in 1901 to care for people referred to in those days as “feeble-minded” as well as other dependent people including the poor, the elderly and the young. 

The Chemung Cemetery was created in 1941. It is unknown where residents of the State School who died prior to 1941 were interred, except it is known they were buried in unmarked graves at unknown locations on the State School grounds.  

Residents of the State School came from Laconia and surrounding communities, including Gilmanton. In some cases, residents from other communities who died at the State School may have been interred in their home community. There are references in early Town Reports of payments made to the “County Farm” for the poor of Gilmanton housed at the Laconia State School.

 
In 2011, NH Outlook aired a special related to the Gordon Dubois production, Lost in Laconia. Also see Town Poor Farms.